READ: Proverbs 4:20-22 My Son, give attention to My Words; Incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart; for they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh.
This is one of my favorite scriptures. It speaks so much to me and reminds me personally to stay in the Word of God. I know I may at times sound like a 'broken record' encouraging everyone to be in God's Word --- the reason I say this is revealed inside this scripture:
- Give attention to My Words: Our mind is to be focused on the Word. We are to give God's Word first importance and top priority in our life.
- Incline your ear to My sayings: LISTEN to what the Word says. God will speak to us through His Word but He will also speak to our hearts, or even through another person.
- Do not let them (God's Word) depart from your eyes: Many times we fail because we see ourselves the way others do. Do you see yourself the way the doctor does, the way your husband does, the way people do --- OR do you see yourself the way God does? Let God's word be true and everything else a lie! (Romans 3:4). How can we see ourselves the way God does? --- by keeping our eyes on the word of God – day, after day, after day. That means we won’t look at the symptoms, or the condition, or the problem because that will get our mind off of what God word says --- will see ourselves totally and completely the way God does!
- Keep them (God's Word) in the midst of your heart: How do we let God’s word penetrate deep into our heart? We think on scripture ALL DAY LONG - whisper it or speak it to yourself, think on it, ponder it – chew on it – eat on it – feed on it -- like Joshua 1:8 says “Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.”
- For they (My Words) are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh. The Hebrew word for health here is also the word for medicine – in other words --- my words are life to those that find them, and (medicine) to all their flesh!
THEN when you follow God's prescription - the medicine (His Word) will bring LIFE and HEALTH and HEALING to your whole body. Now this is a prescription that we cannot afford to skip!
Pay attention to My Words; Listen carefully to my words; Don't lose sight of them. Let them penetrate into your heart DAILY.