Read: Psalm 119:105-112 "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. I've promised it once, and I'll promise it again: I will obey your righteous regulations. I have suffered much, O Lord; restore my life again as you promised. Lord, accept my offering of praise, and teach me your regulations. My life constantly hangs in the balance, but I will not stop obeying your instructions. The wicked have set their traps for me, but I will not turn from your commandments. Your laws are my treasure; they are my heart's delight. I am determined to keep your decrees to the very end."
Walking in the dark is not something that I like to do. On occasion I will forget to get my laundry from the clothesline and find myself wandering out in the dark to get them. We are reminded when reading Psalms 119 that 'the Word of God is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path'.
If we don't use a light and we grope in the darkness some things can happen, such as:
1. We can stumble, fall, or get hurt.
2. Lose our way.
3. Wander on a crooked path.
4. Become fearful.
The Word of God is much like a flashlight - it lights up our pathway, the pathway we are to walk upon in life. God's Word will:
1. Protect us. (When we are not spending time in God's Word - we often fall into sin and falling into sin leads us to do things that we shouldn't do, i.e. accidents, self-inflicted sin.
2. Guide us. (When we spend time in the Word of God, the Lord uses His Word to quicken things inside of our spirit that guides us in right and wrong.
3. Keep us on the straight and narrow. (When we stay in the Word of God, we want to walk in a close fellowship with Jesus. We want to do His Will and we are more intune with what His calling is for our lives.
4. Make us bold. (Spending time each day in the Word of God helps us to understand exactly who we are in Christ and the authority that has been given to us by Christ Jesus. "We are not given a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind, 2 Timothy 1:7" ).
God's Word is to be a part of our lives everyday - Set aside time each day to read and study the Word of God and watch how things become brighter and clearer. Make the Word of God your hearts delight and be determined to keep His Word as TRUTH all the days of your life.